Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any ideas what this is?
My elderly Pekin, Honey, had a flaky white patch come up on her head a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't sure at the time if it was an injury so I cleaned it up and purple sprayed, and to be honest didn't think much more about it.

Last weekend I noticed she had a hard crusty lump on her head and since then I've been bathing daily and trying to see if I can get it to soften and see if its just a huge scab. I've also been giving baytril twice a day although I think I am giving a much lower dose than I could do (anyone know the correct dosage?  she weighs approx 400g).

There's no change and I'm reluctant to drag her to my vet as she is otherwise so well. She is laying every other day and she's got a huge appetite!

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas of what it is or what I should be doing.

Here's a photo (the other side of her head looks normal)

gosh it looks quite big.    Not sure at all, but chickens can get scaley leg on their combs!!     Looks like cradle cap gone mad

It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Oh, hadn't thought of scaly leg but she suffers really badly with it on her feet.  I'll try some camrosa on it and see if that helps.  Thank you for the suggestion 

Could it be an injury from a cockerels advances or from rubbing somewhere within your set up ? I do hope you manage to clear the problem up.

CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
It looks exactly like cradle cap T!
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
I suspect it is a fungus that has got into an injury. Use the cream for athletes foot on it and see if that cleans it up. 

Camerosa is good,  but I don't know if it is anti-fungal? 

You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
Another thought was could it be  Favus  ?         Treatment Formalin in petroleum jelly for favus.
Clotrimazole cream (or Canestan) would work if it is fungal.
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
I am wondering if it's an injury.  Honey is one of two old ladies that lives in half of the shed and has a separate run to the rest of the flock, as she is the one who was badly bullied by the Shetland.  There was a day recently where Honey was in a really bad mood and was picking fights between the chicken wire of her run.  It's quite possible that she sustained an injury that day.  I'm just a bit muddled as to the order of events; whether the flaky head came before or after the day she was picking fights!

Would still treat it as a fungal infection - no harm done if it isn't and the cream in itself will soften and help heal. 

Zenith - Favus was what I was thinking. But couldn't remember the name. 

You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
Thank you everyone for your input  Confusedmile: .  I shall carry on the antibiotics and apply camrosa daily; if there is still no change by the end of the weekend then I'll start an anti fungal treatment.

looks like there are a number of things it could be and each one with a different treatment...................take her to work with you and get a diagnosis Lass Big Grin
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Quote: 

Zenith - Favus was what I was thinking. But couldn't remember the name. 

I remembered a thread on the old forum I think it was Devon Lou 's post  Confusedmile: I struggled to think of the name too.
Youve had loads of good advise,so i wont add any,just to say i hope she is feeling better soon.