Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whoops - egg eating
Forgot to lift the pop hole up when I went to work today so girls didn't have anywhere to go and lay.  Tonight I have found one whole egg but one broken one also - not sure if they trod on it by accident but whatever, they have eaten it - hope when they have their nest box back tomorrow they won't realise how tasty the egg was.

Can't believe I was so stupid - am kicking myself - as if my chickens aren't problematic enough at the moment.

:bang

I wouldn't worry too much,   I occasionally get the odd egg on the grass or in the run and sometimes if one breaks it gets eaten but it hasnt caused any problems.....

It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Like Teasel I've had the occasional broken or soft-shell egg eaten without generating a habit.

Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
Thanks - I'll stop beating myself up and hope for the best

think I have 1 hen laying regular soft shelled eggs as I usually have 1 egg shell and eaten egg in coop but the others are left intact!

what does that mean rosehtg - what do you think is wrong?  I feed mine roasted broken egg shells which I think is supposed to toughen the shells.

One of mine laid quite a few soft-shell eggs for a while and then hasn't laid since. I think there is a viral condition that can cause this, but some soft shell problems can be sorted with calcium based supplements, I found a product by equimins (I think) called something like "shell improver" that was based on calcium phosphate to be effective for others whose shells got thin and weak.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
interesting. Don't know why I always get a thin shell one as the others are strong and all hens have same food etc. will look into the viral thing and the equimins

I have had one for a while laying weak shells, I was hoping it was just a phase & not an illness, as they all get the same diet. She looks healthy enough. I will try the roasted egg shells to see if that helps. The weak ones often get eaten but they don't seem to go for the other eggs so I reckon they get broken by accident & they enjoy the free meal!

I thought that layers pellets had the grit in them.   Mine hardly ever get grit but they do have access to a lot of grass and bits and pieces.   I do find they sometimes start laying soft shells when they are coming to the end of their laying period

It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going