Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White Star pale egg yolks
My white star has been laying for about 4 weeks now, such cute little white eggs!  The shells are so hard, you have to really whack them to crack them open!

Have noticed that the yolks seem a little paler than the other girls' eggs. 

She is our first white star so I was just wondering if this is normal for the breed?

I thought the colour of the yolks depended on their food not the breed.   My exbatts started off with pale yolks but are now producing much yellower ones

It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
I did as well T.  Nice to have hard shells though, my lot are a bit flakey on the hardness at the moment
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
Yes, I thought so too. But as she's getting the same diet as the rest of them, it did make me wonder. Hope there isn't anything to worry about, she does seem healthy though. Honestly, I've never had shells so hard!
Are they in a run or free ranging? It may simply be that she eats less grass and more pellets/seed depending on what you feed - eating grass gives a really dark yellow yolk.

Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
She gets out in the garden most of the time, they are only in a run for a few hours a week when there is no-one at home (I lock them up since the fox attack!) Maybe she doesn't eat as much grass as the others!!
Could be! If she seems healthy and the eggs are tasty I wouldn't worry! May improve with time though.

Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
Thank you, I think you're right! They taste fine so I'll stop worrying! Smile
slip her a bit of flaked Maize or mixed corn ... that'll help with yolk colour Mine get a handfull each and the eggs are almost orange some daysSmile   but that said some are paler than others so it may just be the bird
ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool