Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Egg Eating
Hi all, hope you are all well.

So we have now had Sid the cockerel for about 4 months - he is still sneezing but does not seem to have infected the girls.  Sid, however, is not proving very manly and apart from doing a few cock a doodle dos in the morning does not seem to be showing the girls many "moves".

He does seem quite a gentleman though in that if he has food he makes a noise to get the girls over and then lets them eat the food - how very sweet - one thinks in the first instance.

We have not had eggs for about a week or so - one of the girls is in heavy moult but I couldn't work out what was happening to the others - thought it might be too hot - wasn't too bothered.  However at the weekend one of the girls went inside and I thought - hey ho here we go it's egg time.  Then heard a noise - didn't think much about it but when I finally did really hear the noise, Sid and all the girls were in the house trying to cram into the nest box and eating the egg - there was really not much left at all. 

So husband filled an egg up with mustard but unfortunately I seem to have chickens that like mustard and they polished that off very quickly.

We have put some golf balls in the nest box and husband has ordered a tray which is supposed to roll the eggs away (if it works).

We are at work all day and so cannot collect the eggs during the day.

Any other bright ideas out there please.
I think the roll away nest box trays are the best solution,as egg eating is hard to stop once they start doing it.

CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
[-] The following 1 user Likes zenith's post:
  • Spur
Yes thought as much Zenith - roll away box on order so they have a few more days yet of tasty eggs.  Little tinkers!

Baaad chickens!! the roll away is the best solution. :thumbup:

I left a rubber egg in the nest box of one of my egg eaters. They tried their best to eat it, but eventually gave up. When the girlie came back into lay they were not interested in trying to eat it.
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
I also had an egg eater in the flock recently and also put in rubber eggs - seems to have done the trick so far.....

Does that work if there are "real" eggs left in the nest box also - see our problem is that we are at work so can't collect any eggs until the evening.
Seems to have done so for mine. Can you not get a rollaway nest box?
squizzers
Quote:Seems to have done so for mine. Can you not get a rollaway nest box?
One has been ordered.
ok - they don't like the roll away nest box and are now laying on the floor in the run although I was there over the weekend and able to take them away quickly

So I've put the nest box back - perhaps over the weekend they will have forgotten they like the taste of eggs!  I have also put some golf balls in there as well just to confuse them.

Never easy
Hens will be hens.......now you know why we say 'bird brain'!!

Quote:ok - they don't like the roll away nest box and are now laying on the floor in the run :bang  although I was there over the weekend and able to take them away quickly

So I've put the nest box back - perhaps over the weekend they will have forgotten they like the taste of eggs!  I have also put some golf balls in there as well just to confuse them.

Never easy
Sorry but that did make me laugh laugh

little blighters!!

Just a thought..what about putting some of their used bedding in the new box so it doesnt seem so new.

I did put some fresh stuff in there before but used bedding sounds like a good idea - I will give that a go - thanks.  Can't put much in as otherwise the egg doesn't roll!

Has anyone tried a nest box with sacking/cloth on the front? Bit like a flap, so they can go in and out. Keeps it nice and dark and they can't see the egg after laying.
Filling eggs with mustard?
Roll away box is great.
Very annoying if they start that, especially at breeding time.
Atb
Spur Big Grin 
I've got darkened boxes on my shed but had problems in one of my open fronted pens. I eventually put rubber and China eggs in there. Think they have themselves headaches trying to break them open. Cued the egg eating though.
squizzers
[-] The following 1 user Likes Squizzers's post:
  • Spur