Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good fertility
Just candled my first 20 Shetland eggs and have 18 fertile.  Pretty good going for so early in the season and considering I have just one cockerel, 'Marvin' in with a flock of 18 hens (of which only 7 are Shetlands).  If he keeps up this performance he may become 'Marvin the Marvellous' ! Wink
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

Well done Marvin !!!       Is it the so called 'climate change', but after 30 years of poultry keeping, I have never known a winter like it for the birds.    Out of 50 I only had one that moulted and all the hens have kept up with laying without any break at all.  Even this far north we don't seem to have winters any more, and the wild birds don't know what to do - I did see some starting to nest build in late January and we had daffies through at the same time as the snowdrops.

I will be interested to see if the swallows turn up early
COCKADOODLEDOO

De-stress with Poultry - and have the patience of a Broody

++++++++++++++++

You could be right CDD - who knows ? Certainly not a harsh winter by any means. Some of my flock didn't moult either and I have had eggs all the way through. Having said that, because of having to replace most of my hens last year following the fox attack, they were all coming to POL at the end of the Autumn. I have had enough to put eggs out for sale since the end of December. Getting round 14 a day from 18 hens at moment.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

Wish I had room for Shetlands, but main flock of brahma is over-filling the coop already! My hatch last year was more successful than expected!
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
Candled my second incubator this morning holding another 18 Shetland eggs and hey presto another 16/18 are fertile. Re-candled Inccy No.1 eggs yesterday and actually have 19/20 fertile. Never trust my eyes to be sure of empty eggs until day 10. Will leave them alone now to do their thing and hope for lots and lots of little chicks in the very near future. Will now consider getting some hatching eggs up for sale on Ebay as I can confidently quote fertility at 90%. Marvin the Marvellous strikes again !

(18-03-2019, 10:09 AM)Cockadoodledoo Wrote: Well done Marvin !!!       Is it the so called 'climate change', but after 30 years of poultry keeping, I have never known a winter like it for the birds.    Out of 50 I only had one that moulted and all the hens have kept up with laying without any break at all.  Even this far north we don't seem to have winters any more, and the wild birds don't know what to do - I did see some starting to nest build in late January and we had daffies through at the same time as the snowdrops.

I will be interested to see if the swallows turn up early

That sounds unique CDD - mine definitely stopped laying..and were even hesitant to start on Valentine's day, which they usually do. Going in full flow now though Smile
(24-03-2019, 10:00 AM)april Wrote: Candled my second incubator this morning holding another 18 Shetland eggs and hey presto another 16/18 are fertile. Re-candled Inccy No.1 eggs yesterday and actually have 19/20 fertile.  Never trust my eyes to be sure of empty eggs until day 10.  Will leave them alone now to do their thing and hope for lots and lots of little chicks in the very near future.  Will now consider getting some hatching eggs up for sale on Ebay as I can confidently quote fertility at 90%.  Marvin the Marvellous strikes again !

Wow - well done Marvin!! I'm so tempted to have some chicks this year...I've been holding off as I'm trying to sell my house - for the last 5 years!! Miss the wee chicks though - might have a few..... and I have a home for them if we do actually sell. Might shout for some eggs on here please  Big Grin
I've got eggs if you want brahmas.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Sutty's post:
  • scotsfran
(27-03-2019, 11:43 PM)Sutty Wrote: I've got eggs if you want brahmas.

Oooo pretty! Many thanks for the offer Sutty. Do they need dry ground for their legs? It's not tooo bad here as long as I keep topping up the woodchip.
(29-03-2019, 02:33 PM)scotsfran Wrote:
(27-03-2019, 11:43 PM)Sutty Wrote: I've got eggs if you want brahmas.

Oooo pretty! Many thanks for the offer Sutty. Do they need dry ground for their legs? It's not tooo bad here as long as I keep topping up the woodchip.

My run has been very muddy at times and they seem to cope OK - been thinking of woodchip myself though it being on a slope is a nuisance as they kick everything downhill!
The eggs get a bit muddier due to mud on their foot feathers.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Sutty's post:
  • scotsfran