Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All the news
As its so quiet on here at the moment, I thought I'd pop on with some news.  Went to my sisters in Suffolk for the weekend and managed to find a half decent Call Duck breeder so came home with a new pair of Apricots.  The female is a stunner - the drake less so but with Calls you really need to strike a balance to have any chance of successful hatchings.  Have introduced them to my resident 4 today and apart from some minor bad language, they seem to be getting on ok.  The Shetlands I hatched last year are now fully in lay and I plan to start collecting up eggs for a hatch in about a weeks time.  Bit soon really (don't usually hatch from youngsters) but with all the bad luck I've had, I can't leave it - I only have 6 Shetland hens and 1 Cockerel now so really need to up the numbers.  Rest of the flock are laying for England - approximately 14 eggs per day from 18 ladies - can't be bad.  Selling at least 3 boxes each day - which I notice pays my gas/elec bill each day (now I have a smart meter - bloody thing !!).
What you all up to - don't be strangers !

By the way (cos I know you all like to know) Felix (bought from Felixstowe) and Puddle are the names of the new ducks ! woot
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

[-] The following 1 user Likes april's post:
  • zenith
Im collecting a pair of whistling tree ducks tomorrow chicken run
All going ok with the poultry so far, love the turkeys, adorable creatures.
[-] The following 1 user Likes k9crystal's post:
  • zenith
(28-02-2019, 10:06 AM)k9crystal Wrote: Im collecting a pair of whistling tree ducks tomorrow chicken run
All going ok with the poultry so far, love the turkeys, adorable creatures.

Whistling tree ducks?! What are they? I've been tempted to have a couple of call duck for my pond...but think they might be a bit messy in the garden.....

Only getting 1-2 eggs every other day here at the moment  Sad  I know a couple are probably old enough to retire but I'm sure there's some shirkers out of the 11 hens that I have!!

PS Felix and Puddle sound fab!
Whistling tree ducks????!

Would like ducks but space is an issue as well as OH concerned about noise.

My chicken coop is getting crowded too after a more successful hatch than expected last year - 15 new hens now about p.o.l. plus one more cockerel.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
Calls are lovely and honestly a couple really won't make any mess to worry about Scotsfran.

Sutty - both the Brahma hens I kept from your eggs are laying. Such ridiculously small eggs from such big girls - they make lovely scramble though when mixed with Pekin eggs. The two are named as a 'pair'...……..I call them the 'fat bottomed girls' ! One of them has a habit of not quite going to bed and sitting on the threshold of the pop hole. She blocks it completely so anyone out past their curfew can't actually get in. However, seem to be getting it sorted by going down an hour before sundown and putting on the light in the hen house. If I'm at home and able to do this (which is most days), I'll find them nicely snuggled up together on one of the lower perches and everyone else has managed to get to bed on time.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

Tree ducks(fulvous) collected yesterday.
They are Blonde ones. So very pretty, i think they are going to be quite flighty birds , i have them penned on their own until they have settled a little.