Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corneal eye ulcer
I have a lovely Cockerel with a horrible Corneal Eye Ulcer.  He has seen the vet and been on treatment for a week but it looks much worse than a week ago - it is permanently closed and when I open it to medicate, I can't see his eye at all, just a large white blob.  I have lots of experience of eye ulcers in dogs but not in poultry and am wondering if I should continue treatment.  He hates it, is obviously in pain and at the moment has to spend his days separated as my other boys don't like his weird behaviour (he is very disorientated) and will attack him if he is out with them (although they are fine with him being back in the house at night).  Even if the eye was to improve, I'm not sure I could return him to the flock without more bloodshed.  Despite my 'no vet' policy, 3 of my chickens have seen a vet in the last month - really can't justify much more outlay.  Anyone any experience of this condition in their birds and whether I am 'flogging a dead horse' and should pts.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

Not seen this in any of my birds. My only thoughts are a foreign body in the eye which has abraded it or too high an ammonia level in the coop causing conjunctivitis (and a particularly susceptible bird).
What treatment is he on?
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
This is definitely trauma to the cornea. He is on Chlorophenicol anti biotics and Remend. It's exactly what I would want him to be on (with my extensive experience of the condition in dogs). Suspect a peck to the eye from one of his house mates.

Should say that for an eye ulcer to be caused by high ammonia levels requires pretty filthy housing conditions. Mine are most definitely not in that league I can promise you. I am fastidious !
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

Oh dear April - I've not had experience of this but it sounds painful for your boy. I hope that the treatment finally has an effect. I assume that there isn't something still stuck in his eye? I remember I had a grass seed stuck in my eye for a full day - I couldn't see it in the mirror but my GP did an anaesthetic eye drop and got it out - I didn't feel a thing and the relief after...phew!
No nothing still in the eye. Corneal ulcers are nearly always caused by a trauma to the surface of the eye - a peck would be more than likely in poultry. They can take weeks if not months to fully heal in a dog - one of mine had her eyelids sewn shut for several weeks to aid healing. I have had eye ulcers in 3 of my dogs of the years. The problem here is that stress to the bird - getting the medication in the eye SIX times a day is horrible for him and the longer this goes on, it becomes less likely that I will be able to return him to the flock anyway - 'Kellogs' definitely has him in his sights and is desperate to get in to his separate enclosure despite being perfectly ok with him prior to the segregation.