Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
so many ruddy health problems !
1 Call duck pts due to paralysis of her legs - v. sad...…...loved her lots but she was over 9 years old so...……
Kellogs Cockerel at the vet (much against my better judgement) for a horrible mouth/beak infection - well on the mend now.
4 chickens with Upper Respiratory problems - thank goodness for my bestie vet nurse pal who supplied my with a free bottle of Tylan
I poor little pekin pullet with god knows what who is currently residing in my spare bedroom - thought it was the same Upper Respiratory problem but now suspect Gapeworm.  Bought her 4 weeks ago from an auction and she has not been right since she arrived.  She's trying her best so now on Tylan (just in case) and flubenvet in case my Gapeworm theory is correct.  Will have to 'bump' in a few days if no improvement as I think enough may be enough.
Why are they all ill at once ???
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

Its that time of the year.I find that anything below par gets something or other and shuffles off this earth at this time of year.I now very rarely buy new birds in autumn and never in winter as the stress of the move can make them ill.They have enough to deal with with our fickle weather.
Very mild here but apparently we are in for another beast from the east come Friday.
Hope they all recover April.
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
I tend to agree with k9 as soon as the weather turns colder it highlights any health issues. I do hope you manage to save some of them April.
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
Hope they all recover!
Do you have more details on the beak/throat infection and the treatment? I had 3 birds with what seemed to be canker over a few years and despite a variety of treatments none survived.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
Yes, agree Sutty. I think it was a canker type infection. Stunk to high heavens and almost a sick like consistency coming from the beak particularly over night - noticeable on his front in the mornings. Didn't want to eat or drink. He had antibiotics (oral tablets) and a fungal tablet for 7 days. He is now right as rain and back to his normal, stroppy self (albeit a bit more used to handling) ! Can get you the names of meds from the vets if you get a problem in the future I'm sure.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

[-] The following 1 user Likes april's post:
  • zenith
Canker treatment, Sour Crop etc  Interesting link on the forum can be found here
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
[-] The following 1 user Likes zenith's post:
  • scotsfran
Doesn't sound quite like mine which was big solid masses in the mouth and throat very like those on Zenith's link.
I'd still be interested to hear what the names of the meds were though!

Yes, mine had nothing to see in his mouth or throat (as in any solid stuff). I will find out med names for you though.

DOXYCYCLINE was the antibiotic
ITRACONAZOLE was the anti-fungal

Kellogs was prescribed 1 of each once per day for 7 days. - All good !

Hmm Interesting! - makes me wonder whereabouts the infection was; Crop, Sinuses, etc.
Glad he's better anyway - do you know the doses and his weight for future reference? I occasionally have used human antibiotics (generally out of date and bought for remote expeditions) for birds and just worked out doses of a proportional per kilo basis!