Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Egg of the Year
One of my Chocolate Orpington girls gave me an egg today.   Smile Smile  I think last year it was February before I had an egg laid.
COCKADOODLEDOO

De-stress with Poultry - and have the patience of a Broody

++++++++++++++++

I've had 4 eggs so far this year - so I'm not really complaining. I always think of Valentine's Day as the day the chooks start laying again properly. Brrrrr chilly day today though!
My 5 have given between them 2-3 eggs all year.
I've had eggs continually so far this winter. I am even selling at the front of the house and have been for the last month. Getting approximately 6 - 7 a day at the moment and that's without all my new Shetland and Maran pullets getting going.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

no eggs here. My two new silkies were laying well, but they keep going broody now. The legbars are reddning up so fingers crossed.
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
(08-01-2018, 06:04 PM)Cockadoodledoo Wrote: One of my Chocolate Orpington girls gave me an egg today.   Smile Smile   I think last year it was February before I had an egg laid.
Mine almost stopped a bit before christmas, but getting 2-4 per day now (19 potential layers), interestingly I thing the youngest girls, hatched last year, have started soonest judging by the small size of the eggs.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
The daily egg I am getting is from the Orpington that hatched late last year.  The other 3 hens are waiting until it gets a bit warmer 11111
COCKADOODLEDOO

De-stress with Poultry - and have the patience of a Broody

++++++++++++++++

(12-01-2018, 11:10 AM)april Wrote: I've had eggs continually so far this winter.  I am even selling at the front of the house and have been for the last month.  Getting approximately 6 - 7 a day at the moment and that's without all my new Shetland and Maran pullets getting going.

What is your secret April?! Or do you provide artificial lighting to keep the laying going? I did have a few eggs at the start of the year but they've now decided it is too cold to lay more....
No, I never use artificial lighting and have only been this lucky the last two winters. Last year I put it down to the avian flu and the fact that the birds were in doors (with lighting during the day) for several months but this year I really have no idea. Due to the fox attack that nearly wiped me out last Summer, I did buy some replacement hybrids around August time - they were only growers but started laying really quickly and just haven't stopped. Two white leghorns and two bluebells have all laid an egg every day since they started and then a couple of Marans that I hatched also got in on the act. This seems to have encouraged the few older fox attack survivors to come in to lay and hey presto.......a couple of green eggs every other day have also appeared. Of course, down South, we haven't really had any sustained cold weather this Winter - just horribly stormy - so the birds probably just don't know what time of year it is !
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !