Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new birds
Having bought a few new ladies the other week i went back on Friday for a few more..
well a few ended up 16!! This was the conversation when i got home. Mrk9 working in the drive as i arrive home so he could see all the boxes.4 big ones in the back and a ginormous one on the back seat.
Mrk9 "how many this time?"
me " well err i got a bit giddy and one or two more than i intended somehow ended up boxed and in the car my sweet"
Mrk9 " So how many ?"
Me " cant think off top off me head, i need to have a count up"
Mrk9 " oh no, those are big boxes and there are 5 of them....20 !!!"
Me" well I have 5 sussex hybrid,4 amber link,2 copper maran hybrid,1 white star and 4 silver laced wyandotte that i didnt intend getting but they are just lovely and as they have had tails pecked and they are the last 4 she gave me a really good deal on them"
Mrk9 " that is 16 birds!"
me " yes i know,but its not 20 is it my love"
I ran away to sort birdies out before he could comment further.
He is away again this weekend !! Big Grin
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
[-] The following 1 user Likes k9crystal's post:
  • scotsfran
You'll be lucky if he returns you naughty girl !

Can't get SLW hatching eggs for love nor money. Got a chap who says he can supply me end of August but I'm not holding my breath.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

If Mr k9 is away and he was expecting 20 it would be a shame to disappoint him . Smile You need to go back for 4 more .
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
[-] The following 2 users Like zenith's post:
  • scotsfran, k9crystal
(24-07-2017, 10:32 AM)zenith Wrote: If Mr k9 is away and he was expecting 20 it would be a shame to disappoint him . Smile You need to go back for 4 more .

good answer Zenith. Big Grin
Patterdales..there is no doubt they are addictive,therein lies the danger.While living with lots,you will grow poorer and stranger. dog run K9
[-] The following 2 users Like k9crystal's post:
  • scotsfran, zenith
Barrie turned his toes up Sad old age and the stress of the move was too much.
So yesterday i collected a cream crested legbar boy now called William and a cream crested legbar x blue copper maran now called Harry.
both free from a lovely lady in Norfolk. nice drive out,lovely people who were interested in aviation and the chaps disappeared into the depths of the garage and sheds to talk vintage cars/motorbikes/model aircraft whilst we ladies sat in the garden talking chickens.
lunch in the local pub which was the best sunday lunch ive ever had.
The boys are now finding their way around quite happily so far.
William is a very vocal chap..at around 5am!!! They toddle off to bed in the big shed but i go down,gather them up and pop them into the little coop which is darker. This has worked up until yesterday morning when William started shouting and went on and on for ages. Im not sure wether i just woke up or wether he woke me up,anyway i lay there for ages willing him to zip it.I just know the moaning neighbours who are getting more moanie the older they get will moan about him. So last night he was gathered up and bundled into a cat carrier which was popped into little coop with door against the back wall, he did protest somewhat but i threatened him with wearing one of those horrid cockerel collars that are now on the market, didnt hear a squeak until i was up and about in the kennels when i heard him half crowing 'cos he cant get his head up. hopefully this will work and there is room for another cat carrier if Harry fires up,he is a very quiet chap so far.
  • zenith
That's a clever idea re the cat carrier - ie they can't stretch their heads to crow. I'm guessing that only works for as long as they are in the carrier.....
(24-08-2017, 02:33 PM)scotsfran Wrote: That's a clever idea re the cat carrier - ie they can't stretch their heads to crow. I'm guessing that only works for as long as they are in the carrier.....

yes Scotsfran, didnt hear him this morning just the half crowgarglysqwuark as i went down to let him out.So he is in there now 10pm till 7am/8ish at weekend.
  • scotsfran
(25-08-2017, 08:36 AM)k9crystal Wrote:
(24-08-2017, 02:33 PM)scotsfran Wrote: That's a clever idea re the cat carrier - ie they can't stretch their heads to crow. I'm guessing that only works for as long as they are in the carrier.....

yes Scotsfran, didnt hear him this morning just the half crowgarglysqwuark as i went down to let him out.So he is in there now 10pm till 7am/8ish at weekend.

I can just picture the poor boy before you let him out!!  roll eyes  Big Grin
I used to use a 'cockerel box' for one of my Shetlands a few years back..............that was until my neighbours told me they loved the sound of him crowing ! Even so, my boys are always shut in to the coop until 8am at the earliest and so the crowing is pretty muffled. There are so many cockerels crowing in the area I live anyway and no one seems to mind - lucky me.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

Mine are closed in the coop until 7am, which helps muffle them early morning. However several neighbours have also said they like hearing them.
I use the VSB pophole control with added timer - won't open until it is light and after 7am, and closes when it goes dark.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
Harry was off this morning so he will be in a cat box from now on.
The hens do make me chuckle,i put Williams cat box on top of the little coops run during the day.Three of the hens have decided its a daytime nest box. Big Grin
  • scotsfran