Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pekins
Just candled my 20 Pekin Bantam eggs on day 5.  I have got 16 definitely fertile, 2 clear and 2 not sure.  Here's hoping for lots of little fluff-bums in a couple of weeks.  Should have a mix of Lemon, Silver and Gold Partridge.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

[-] The following 2 users Like april's post:
  • scotsfran, zenith
That is not a bad result Smile good luck with them all
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
Thats sounds like a good hatch to be....................Did my first straddle leg over the weekend as my daughter had a chick with one.

Good luck April, hope you get your little fluffy bums.....
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Did you use the straw and elastic band method ?
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

Straw and elastic band method???  Huh
(18-04-2017, 08:01 PM)scotsfran Wrote: Straw and elastic band method???  Huh

There's a video here  Smile This shows the method April posted about
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
[-] The following 1 user Likes zenith's post:
  • scotsfran
It was brilliant Scotsfran - although I was rather more careful about using rubber matting etc.. Separated the chick in question with another for company - a few small soft toys (for her to lean on) but she was able to walk immediately and I took the band off after 48 hours. She did walk like Charlie Chaplin for a few days but other than that was fine. When I re-introduced her to the other chicks, I had to put a dab of tippex on her fluff so I could tell her apart. Still got her now and you'd never know. Her legs were really badly splayed at hatching - both at right angles to her body !

I used the vet wrap stuff that sticks to itself. Luckily it was only one leg and I think she will be fine.
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Ah..I was confused (easy done!!)  Cry I had thought the straw and elastic band method was to do with the candling of the eggs (the mind boggles) and didn't know what the 'straddle leg' meant - thanks for the clarification!  Big Grin (it didn't help that I was thinking straw as in stuff similar to hay!!)
(19-04-2017, 08:12 PM)scotsfran Wrote: Ah..I was confused (easy done!!)  Cry I had thought the straw and elastic band method was to do with the candling of the eggs (the mind boggles) and didn't know what the 'straddle leg' meant - thanks for the clarification!  Big Grin  (it didn't help that I was thinking straw as in stuff similar to hay!!)

You were definitely on 'Planet Fran' were you not ? laugh

[-] The following 1 user Likes april's post:
  • scotsfran
(19-04-2017, 08:12 PM)scotsfran Wrote: Ah..I was confused (easy done!!)  Cry I had thought the straw and elastic band method was to do with the candling of the eggs (the mind boggles) and didn't know what the 'straddle leg' meant - thanks for the clarification!  Big Grin  (it didn't help that I was thinking straw as in stuff similar to hay!!)

That's what comes on being on Planet Horse......   Tongue