Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to de-broody !
I have found a really efficient and fool-proof method to de-broody a very persistent hen...........................give her a clutch of eggs you actually want her to sit on. mad !!
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

[-] The following 2 users Like april's post:
  • scotsfran, auntsally
rof rof rof

Has it really taken you this long to find that out April!!!   Bring em up here, my Silkie refuses to be debroodied despite being shut out of the house all dayl
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
[-] The following 1 user Likes Teazel's post:
  • auntsally
Yes, it really has T. My incubator never gives up on her eggs bless her ! Blinkin' broodies - not to be trusted.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

They can be such madams at times.
Threaten her with hourly dunking in iced water unless she sits tight. laugh
Stick them in the inci, put some infertile eggs or pot eggs under semi-broody, and see if she eventually sits properly. If so you can then swap the eggs over. I've used the inci like this and just given the newly hatched chicks under broody in the dark. Works well!
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
Definitely not broody any more sutty and the eggs won't be any good now. Never mind - got 20 Pekin eggs going in the inccy tomorrow instead.

(08-04-2017, 06:28 PM)april Wrote: Definitely not broody any more sutty and the eggs won't be any good now.  Never mind - got 20 Pekin eggs going in the inccy tomorrow instead.

Interested when you would consider eggs with a break in incubation as "no good" I suspect in very early stages it can be quite a while.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
Might be worth putting them in the incy too just in case April, if you have room that is
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Teazel - I never put large fowl eggs in with bantam eggs as bantam tend to hatch by about day 18/19 so that messes up the incubation process of the large fowl.

Sutty - I will allow a few days of mucking around but no longer than that - in fact I'm less concerned about broodies who get of their eggs for a little too long towards the end of sitting.

My incubator is now up and running with the Pekin eggs (which by the way came from the most lovely breeder with gorgeous parent birds if anyone ever wants hatching eggs of either Pekin, bantam Wyandottes and bantam RIR).