Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buzzards
A pair of buzzards are getting increasingly nearer to us,  today they flew low over Fort Knox where my chickens and bantams are.     Has anyone ever had bantams taken by buzzards,  I know my daughter lost a duckling to one Sad
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
They are always soaring above us here, I think they are more interested in the thermals than the chickens. The chickens on the other hand always alarm call when they spot them.
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
these were not soaring on the termals Zenith they were within feet of the run. They have been soaring for a few weeks but every day they get lower and lower and today they were almost head height!!
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
[-] The following 1 user Likes Teazel's post:
  • zenith
have buzzards here and they have never been a problem so far.
maybe look into  scarers if they do them for buzzards, then you will be forearmed if they do become a problem.

Ive just seen a suggestion of mirror balls and mirrors so that their own reflection scares them off.
maybe look on pigeon sites/suppliers.I would imagine they need to keep them away from their racing birds.
(17-03-2017, 11:48 AM)k9crystal Wrote: have buzzards here and they have never been a problem so far.
maybe look into  scarers if they do them for buzzards, then you will be forearmed if they do become a problem.

Ive just seen a suggestion of mirror balls and mirrors so that their own reflection scares them off.
maybe look on pigeon sites/suppliers.I would imagine they need to keep them away from their racing birds.

Maybe some old  cd's hung up would do the trick as they reflect light.
It seems everything is out to get our birds.. Cry mad
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
I've quite a few buzzards around here, but they've not ventured into my garden. Not to say that they wouldn't .... do they go for 'live' feed or carrion?
(17-03-2017, 10:48 PM)scotsfran Wrote: I've quite a few buzzards around here, but they've not ventured into my garden. Not to say that they wouldn't .... do they go for 'live' feed or carrion?

They will eat both  it is mainly rodents, lizards,  with small birds taken too. Anything above 500grms would be carrion, sadly that is why so many are seen killed at the side of roads killed trying to pick up road kill.
So maybe bantams would be too big? Hope so, I have a Sulmtaler and a Pekin out, the other bantams are under cover.