Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Countryfile. Avian flu
Countryfile is covering Avian Flu..they are returning to it later in the programme..
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
watching it now! but I don't understand. on the one hand they are saying that there is £5000 fine and 3 months imprisonment potentially if people don't adhere to the rule of keeping their birds away from wild birds. later they talk about defra guidelines. am I the only one confused? I am not surprised then that people who should know how to care for poultry as it is their job are saying that these rues are only guidelines and not adhering to them!
I was confused too. Then when he said that if it is in non migratory birds it may be here to stay!
I was pleased that the programme has highlighted the avian flu situation though, so many people say they haven't heard about it.
yes the non migratory birds and here to stay is really bad news and will probably put me off poultry keeping Sad
Me too.  Cry Cry
I didn't see the programme but it does sound like a worry if it's non-migratory birds that are affected. I keep telling my girls that I'll be wringing their necks if they don't start laying soon!! (not really...) I'm sure they're just in protest at the lockdown  Wink but there's not much else we can do. Valentine's Day is usually the cue for laying - so we'll see......
It wasn't very what they meant. They said it was different this time as wild birds are being affected, then said if non migratory birds become affected it is here to stay. I don't think they are at the moment. Keeping everything crossed
Ah I've got you now...though if the migratory birds have AV I guess they can pass it on. Fingers crossed it all clears up soon
very depressing, on a lighter note maybe we could build a Trump wall to keep the migratory birds out Big Grin
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
If it is in non-migratory birds it doesn't necessarily mean that avian flu will become endemic (ie remains in the population long-term), it just becomes more likely. One of the things that may limit spread and lead to it dying out is that it kills such a large proportion of affected birds quickly, so they have less chance to pass it on.
Countryfile also mentioned that if it becomes endemic the country may introduce vaccination, currently banned except in specific circumstances.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
Thank you Sutty for helping us to be a bit more positive.x

(06-02-2017, 09:59 AM)Teazel Wrote: very depressing,   on a lighter note maybe we could build a Trump wall to keep the migratory birds out Big Grin

How would we make them pay for it though?  Huh