Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bird flu
I know...it is such a worry. Given the appearance of Avian flu in the UK, I can't believe that the restrictions will be lifted on 6th January. Time will tell....... Cry
Im relieved that my lot seem to be coping very well.We have made it that the underneath of the shed is inaccessible to wild birds so thats 16x8 they can be in to dust bath if nothing else.They seem to have enjoyed the swede,not much left this morning. Biggest problem is trying to get in without one of them making a bid for freedom from Stalagluft colditzshantyslum..Mrk9 made it that the door opens either way so that helps.
Im not sure that Jan6th will be the end of it,they have to be very sure before lifting restrictions.
We went to louth yesterday and i saw many had birds outside Angry
The chooks may not be allowed out to free range - but I think they enjoyed their Christmas treat - a whole melon! 

Yes, the ground IS a mudbath at the moment - new woodchip being delivered next week!
Any more news on the Avian Influenza? Just wondered if our chooks are still allowed their freedom on 6th January? They're all standing at the door, handbags at the ready!!
(02-01-2017, 07:56 PM)scotsfran Wrote: Any more news on the Avian Influenza? Just wondered if our chooks are still allowed their freedom on 6th January? They're all standing at the door, handbags at the ready!!

All the latest updates can be found here  Smile . There is a link on there for Scotland too. Any changes I think will be notified on the link first.
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
[-] The following 1 user Likes zenith's post:
  • scotsfran
Many thanks Zenith - hopefully only 3 days to go....
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotsfran's post:
  • zenith
Bug 
It looks like the bird restriction has been extended and here was me hoping we only had two days to go before we could let them out  Sad I did think it was unlikely that the girls (and boy) would get their freedom on Friday though. Here is the latest from DEFRA
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotsfran's post:
  • zenith
Well that is pretty comprehensive at last, so everyone now has to conform and keep their poultry in or covered.   Very interesting as the person Damian I spoke to at DEFRA this morning told me that it wasnt compulsory if it was not possible.   I know quite a few people who are not bothering Sad
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
28th FEBRUARY !!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT - what a bloody nightmare - 2 more months with no freedom and as for the cleaning out - I can't bear this. Having poultry is REALLY loosing it's appeal.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

(05-01-2017, 04:26 PM)april Wrote: 28th FEBRUARY !!!!   I CAN'T BELIEVE IT - what a bloody nightmare - 2 more months with no freedom and as for the cleaning out - I can't bear this.  Having poultry is REALLY loosing it's appeal.

Awful isn't it. We gave decided not to replace birds when they die and gradually stop keeping poultry. Mind you, we have said that before and then a girl goes broody and it's "just one more hatch".  roll eyes
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
(05-01-2017, 04:26 PM)april Wrote: 28th FEBRUARY !!!!   I CAN'T BELIEVE IT - what a bloody nightmare - 2 more months with no freedom and as for the cleaning out - I can't bear this.  Having poultry is REALLY loosing it's appeal.

I know it's a cost of materials but couldn't you make a run with a cover over to give them some out door space ? 6ft x 3 ft  panels work best with weld mesh and a tarp to cover the top. There is a post in the housing section showing Summaya's panels easy to make up with a few nails, screws and a  staple gun for the mesh. Found the photo for you

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 1 user Likes zenith's post:
  • scotsfran
We're going to have a look art netting the entire run. The sides are of a small enough gauge not to allow wild birds in but it is a really big run with large young trees in as well so whether it really would be possible is a bit iffy. OH is going to have a good look at it this weekend. I'm feeling very depressed about the whole thing !
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

(05-01-2017, 09:52 PM)april Wrote: We're going to have a look art netting the entire run.  The sides are of a small enough gauge not to allow wild birds in but it is a really big run with large young trees in as well so whether it really would be possible is a bit iffy.  OH is going to have a good look at it this weekend.  I'm feeling very depressed about the whole thing !

I'm in exactly the same situation. I have been looking at rigging a raised tensioned rope well above the large run (which is surrounded by electric fence) and then draping/securing net over it.
I was looking at this stuff.
It soon adds up for a big run though!
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
It is not only about having small enough mesh to keep wild birds out when covering a run. It is about keeping any droppings from wild birds out. This includes any that maybe transferred on your feet when entering the house or run. I know it's a pain in the rear but it is better to be safe than sorry.
(06-01-2017, 04:34 PM)zenith Wrote: It is not only about having small enough mesh to keep wild birds out when covering a run. It is about keeping any droppings from wild birds out. This includes any that maybe transferred on your feet when entering the house or run. I know it's a pain in the rear but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Sadly there is no way I can practicably roof over a large enough area for 16 brahmas without it ether needing planning permission, breaking the bank, or blowing away!! I have treadle feeders so at least that doesn't attract wild birds, I could possibly net over the run but getting it around trees etc very difficult. Not really anything much I can do about droppings from birds flying overhead.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.