Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bird flu
(13-12-2016, 09:42 AM)april Wrote: Got my birds sorted at the weekend - mostly they are in the main house (size of a single garage) and I've managed to attach a pathetic excuse of a covered run just outside the pop hole so a few of them can wander out and get fresh air but it's going to get horribly muddy and stinky in that area pretty quickly.  Inside is cosy-toes.  Found a new floor covering which I really like and have got it down really thick.  They've got their food and water as usual with the added interest of hanging greens, peck blocks and this morning a big bowl of home-made egg fried rice to nibble on !! A light is on for the main part of the day and Radio 2 for a bit of light relief (mine always stand very still and appear to listen intently when I have the radio on when I'm cleaning out) so thought they'd probably like it.  If they get bored, I may go and buy a bale of straw for them to pull apart but other than that, there's really not much more we can do I suppose - just hope DEFRA doesn't get all anal and extend the shut-down period.  Being 'cooped up' has never been more applicable and I hate seeing the birds shut in.

New floor covering? Do tell. I'm always looking for something better than I have right now. It is just a mud bath in the run - my fault for putting it at the lowest part of the garden...... Cry
It's Equinola Horse Bedding. Seems pretty good so far and smells lovely. My favourite is Beddown but this is really hard to get hold of and the only supplier I can get it from is half way up the County - so only if I'm passing. My run is also at the bottom of my garden and on a very slight slope - It'll be a bog by the end of the winter but I now have a very obliging tree surgeon on side so it'll get a new layer of wood chip as soon as the worst of the winter weather is over. I do have 'hedgerow' and trees in my run which helps drink up some of the rain water and the bottom half is always ok because most of the wood chip works it's way down over a period of time, leaving the top half bare and too much woodchip in the bottom half ! A big log pile means the birds can always find a dry non-muddy place to perch.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

[-] The following 1 user Likes april's post:
  • scotsfran
Unconfirmed as yet.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/poultry/breaking-ne...y-farm.htm
ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
(16-12-2016, 05:03 PM)Nick the Grief Wrote: Unconfirmed as yet.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/poultry/breaking-ne...y-farm.htm

Thanks for the update Nick,  I hope  it isn't bird flu .
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
Oh man, it's such a bad situation. I've spent my day enriching my girls' area. They now have a chicken swing, hay bales, a mealworm hanging things and a mirror. But, all of this won't matter if it gets here!
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
Confirmed case on turkey farm not far from here. ☹️☹️
Oh dear......... Sad
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Fingers crossed for everyone x
Let's hope it can be contained, we can only do our best to protect our birds, the rest is up to DEFRA.. I have deep sympathy for the farmer whose birds are affected too.
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
(16-12-2016, 07:12 PM)k9crystal Wrote: Confirmed case on turkey farm not far from here. ☹️☹️

5000 turkeys is a lot of birds to lose Sad must be heart breaking if the farmer has raised them all.
I was reading that a lot if people are openly flouting the DEFRA ruling but there are not the resources to do anything about it!
(17-12-2016, 11:32 PM)auntsally Wrote: I was reading that a lot if people are openly flouting the DEFRA ruling  but there are not the resources to do anything about it!

I suspect there are many who maybe dont know or just wont do anything about it.
We all know we have done our best.Mrk9 spent all weekend fettling and cobbling together an extension for our ladies and duck,we have done our very best.
they all looked so bewildered when i opened the door this morning and they could only go a few feet instead of charging off all over the garden. Sad
WARNING !!   Whilst most of us have birds undercover using what ever means we can. Please make sure that the covers are well battened down before Friday as Storm Barbra is set to reach most parts of the UK forecasting 70 mph wind speeds and heavy rain.
Oh dear....poor Father Christmas!
Seriously, thanks for the advice Zen. Luckily my runs have permanent roofs. Batten down everybody...
I had to double check the date there - I thought I was reading a post from the beginning of this year! Seems we were battening down the hatches then..... Sad