Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soft egg!
Thanks for this Scotfran - I shall just persevere with the Shell Improver and see where we go from here.  I read somewhere that giving dried cranberries in plain yoghurt could help, so may try that.  Annoying not to be able to identify the culprit, and I noticed on cleaning out the nesting boxes this afternoon that there was what I guess is eggwhite under the straw, implying that the eggs have been laid without any shell at all on occasion.  I'm puzzled chin !!
How are you getting on with this Demi?
(03-09-2017, 10:15 AM)scotsfran Wrote: How are you getting on with this Demi?

It has been a week since I last had a soft-shell egg - last Saturday I thoroughly cleaned out the henhouse, and scrubbed it with dilute bleach, (having previously just changed the sawdust layers for the first 4 weeks), and I also gave the hens some leftovers from the kitchen, in particular old grated cheese and veggies from supper.  Do you think this could have solved the problem?! Have I inadvertently found a cure?  Wow!  Anyway, fingers crossed it doesn't recur.  Thanks for your concern.
Ah wouldn't that be nice. Probably just hardening up due to settling in properly. Either way, you sound like a very good and attentive poultry keeper. My fingers are crossed for no more wasted eggs. Well done.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !