Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soft egg!
We picked up an egg that was in the run yesterday - very carefully!! It was intact, but the 'shell' was so soft. I took the courage to open it tonight, and it was perfectly normal inside. I am assuming that this is just a 'blip' - could it have come from any of the hens, or a newbie? I'm sure it can't be from lack of calcium. Has anyone else experienced this?
Shelless eggs do happen. Usually an old hen, start of laying season etc. It should correct itself.
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
Yes occasionally get a soft shelled egg.
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

yes me too. Usually sorts itself out.
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
This usually seems to happen at the start or end of lay, or at the end of their laying lifetime. However I understand it Can be a result of lack of calcium and phosphate. If the other hens also have quite thin shells I would add some eggshell improver to the diet. Equimins do a product called "Eggshell improver" which I've used previously. Also can occasionally be caused by a viral infection causing "egg drop", which would be more of a worry, details here.
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sutty's post:
  • scotsfran
You could feed their shells back to them after you've baked in oven for a bit then ground up. I add cod liver oil to the feed as well as it helps with calcium absorption.
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chickenmum's post:
  • scotsfran
I swear by cod liver oil in winter! The horsey one works just fine!
squizzers
Don't overdo the cod-liver oil though, or the eggs can taste fishy!
Never forget that life is a finite resource.

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it most.
(24-02-2016, 11:02 AM)Sutty Wrote: Don't overdo the cod-liver oil though, or the eggs can taste fishy!
Caviar anyone?
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
[-] The following 2 users Like auntsally's post:
  • zenith, Teazel
You should see Squizzers' chickens doing agility, its amazing Big Grin
It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
[-] The following 3 users Like Teazel's post:
  • Squizzers, zenith, auntsally
Now now T. Big Grin
squizzers
I am a new henkeeper, and I have just taken in 4 rescue girls, and one is laying very soft-shelled, and today no-shelled (!) eggs.  I read the post on Egg Drop syndrome, and the pictures look just like the eggs my girl is laying, but the others are laying normally (post indicates it would be the entire flock infected).  So my question is two-fold - firstly what to do, but also what to do if I can't identify which hen is the affected one, which I can't?
Hi Demi,

I am sure you will find this is just a 'blip'. As you'll see from the posts above, we all get this from time-to-time. Perhaps the hen is question is an older girl. Make sure you are using a good quality, balanced diet with access to grit/shell and I'm sure you'll find that her eggs will be normal given time. Could just be the stress of moving home. Do watch for 'egg-eaters' though - make sure you remove any soft-shelled eggs as soon as possible after laying otherwise you may find them being eaten and this may encourage the hens to investigate normal eggs as well, leaving you with very few for yourselves !
I never make the same mistake twice. I do it at least five or six times, just to make sure !

(26-08-2017, 12:20 PM)april Wrote: Hi Demi,

I am sure you will find this is just a 'blip'.  As you'll see from the posts above, we all get this from time-to-time.  Perhaps the hen is question is an older girl.  Make sure you are using a good quality, balanced diet with access to grit/shell and I'm sure you'll find that her eggs will be normal given time.  Could just be the stress of moving home.  Do watch for 'egg-eaters' though - make sure you remove any soft-shelled eggs as soon as possible after laying otherwise you may find them being eaten and this may encourage the hens to investigate normal eggs as well, leaving you with very few for yourselves !

I really hope you are right about it being just a short-term thing, but I've had these girls 4 weeks now, and one is consistently laying softies.
Hi Demi - welcome to the group. I was the original poster and I got a few softshelled eggs then they seemed to stop apart from the occassional one. Interesting that you say that they are rescue hens as I've not had any soft-shelled eggs since my rescues died out, suggesting that the soft eggs came from them. Hopefully your shells will harden soon - as April says, watch out for egg eaters! The only egg eater I have around here now is my dog...... roll eyes