Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feed Prices
(16-01-2016, 12:11 AM)Nick the Grief Wrote:
(29-10-2015, 07:55 PM)imquackers Wrote: i know get my feed from Tarff Valley after being recommended to me by a well known poultry buff Dorinda Fontana ,
Don't trust her ... she tells porkies ...  Don't tell I said that she'll kill me next time she sees me rofl

I use a local farm that does feeds and a Bag of Mixed Corn and a bag of layers is usually less than £15 couldn't tell you exactly without going down stairs ...

hahahah Nick , and she has moved now too , pants !! i just have to private message her lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes imquackers's post:
  • Squizzers
hi guys ,

so after a bit of bother with Tarff Valley and them putting sugar Beet Pellets in with the layers pellets & whole wheat , ive decided to stop using Tarff , i lost 3 birds to eating those sugar beet pellets , 3 of my most beloved birds , all my birds are loved , but these 3 were my breeding trio Sad i advised them about this and they said " sugar beet will benefit your birds" ,so i explained , sugar beet pellets are dried and you must soak them for at least 24 hours before feeding to a chicken as they can expand in the digestive system and kill the birds, with out it listed on the labels i had no idea i was feeding my birds a potential killer , the fella then said just take it out - ohh yes im in the habit of sifting through 25kg of feed each time i open a bag ! - i will say though they did tell me they were going to tell their supplier of feeds about this , but whether they did or not i dont know , but they know now .. but after 3 bags of sugar beet pellets in the bags i gave up and found a new supplier .

All my birds are now back on Farmgate (which my birds adore) , after months and months of trying to find a supplier close by , i finally found one !! so we are now back up to £20 a week feed costs , £8 layers , £8 mixed corn and £2 for a crate of goodies from local shop produce that is over its sell by date !! not bad for the amount of birds i got !!
That is bad re Tarff Valley - hope they sort it out. Although I have one locally I've not shopped for layers pellets there. (I have a supplier for horse feed and she brings me the layers pellets as well) . I'm curious - how many birds do you have imquackers?
(22-05-2016, 11:32 AM)scotsfran Wrote: That is bad re Tarff Valley - hope they sort it out. Although I have one locally I've not shopped for layers pellets there. (I have a supplier for horse feed and she brings me the layers pellets as well) . I'm curious - how many birds do you have imquackers?

i never had an issue with Tarff untill the sugar beet problem , but hopefully their supplier has stopped it , it wasnt many pellets of sugar beet , but enough to cause some serious damage to birds 

and the amount of birds ive got ... having a guestimate - 

11 old english Game 
5 ducks & 6 ducklings 
5 silkies 
3 geese 
12 pekins 
about 30 + Hamburghs (4 black , 3 silver penciled , 2 silver spangled , 15 gold penciled and possibly more than 6  mixed coloured hamburghs)
15 farmyard specials(spekelady,bluebelle,lightsussex,marans , wyandotte x male , whitestar,isabrown ,some wierd n wonderful crosses)
and 
about 27 chicks (hamburghs , cream crested legbars , black hamburghs,gold penciled hamburghs)

& 18 in the incubator :Smile

i think , with out standing and counting the ones in the yard , thats about as close as i can get it , Wink
  • zenith
Wow - that is good going for £20 a week!! Sounds fabulous - wish I had a big enough place to have all those birds. One day.....
(22-05-2016, 12:43 PM)scotsfran Wrote: Wow - that is good going for £20 a week!!  Sounds fabulous - wish I had a big enough place to have all those birds. One day.....

geese eat the grass and keep the lawn down so only need a little bit of layers a day , pekins eat very little , hamburghs free range o dont eat that much , my feed costs will shoot up in the next week or so when the chicks go on to growers .
  • scotsfran
Does this have the prize for the longest active post?
Today is the First Day of the rest of our lives.
[-] The following 1 user Likes auntsally's post:
  • zenith
(23-05-2016, 06:36 AM)auntsally Wrote: Does this have the prize for the longest active post?

ooooooo i hope so haha
  • auntsally
Went to the feed store today and he had some end of season game growers pellets for £3 a bag ... that'll do nicely
ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nick the Grief's post:
  • zenith
Wow - not bad!!
(27-11-2016, 06:02 PM)scotsfran Wrote: Wow - not bad!!

I might call in tomorrow and see how many he's got left Smile
ntg

Warwickshire

The view is much better from the naughty step ... Cool
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nick the Grief's post:
  • scotsfran
My feed runs about $14 u.s. - for a 50lb bag of feed.
Crude Protein (min.) 16.0%
Crude Fat (min.) 4.0%
Crude Fiber (max.) 3.0%