Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feed Prices
[quote name='Bhindi']I rang my poultry feed place today to reserve a bag of 20kg organic pellets, he told me its had yet another price increase. (every bag I get its gone up, each time).. Today's price .. I hope your sitting down.. £11.80. I queried if the increase rate matches the non organic, and he said it generally goes up in large increments.[/QUOTE]

Good lord Bhindi i should hope you were sitting down

I never in the life of me when i started this thread back in Sept 07 did i think someone would be having to pay nearly £12 a bag 8 months later.

Are you not from my area Rug warks ? if so i will look out for some Org pellets for you if you like ive got to get some feed next week ?? PM if you want me to look out for you ? you can also let me know whos ask that price for feed ? oh my
Hiya gang. Being from Nova Scotia, Canada I enjoy the forum here and try to log on once a day to see whassup. I believe the prices around the UK, Australia,etc. are increasing as much as around here. Do you find in just the past 6 mos. or so the feed seems to go up just as often as the gas prices? Do you think as I do that the bio fuels, the supposed fuel of our future is solely to blame for the increases in prices of our grains or are there other things affecting the prices such as importing, shipping. Here most of the grains are grown locally and it still seems the prices are going through the roof.

I feel bad for us back yard flockers who have a lot of birds. It is becoming an expensive hobby. Guess I should convert about 5 or so acres here to grow my own feed, probably cheaper in the long run. Having a couple of hundred birds here as well as a flock of geese, wild turkeys and ducks I guess it will probable be cheaper to grow my own before the prices keep going up.

Thanx for the ear, Steve(BunkyB)
I can't help wondering if bio fuels is pushing the price of grain up! In fact it is becoming very difficult to live at all - everything is going up except the wages!

My feed bill has increased by at least £1.50 per bag just since October of last year!
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
It is a fact that bio fuel has been responsable for the price of wheat & maize world wide going up it stand to reason that if you grow a lot less off a crop then the price of what is grown will go up supply and demand. In the UK the situation was been made worst with last summer being one of the wettest on record
Transportation costs push everything up.Petrol/gasoline all gets passed down to the consumer.
CHUCKLERS RULE THE ROOST - Dave. Zen Seeker of The Board. rabbit run
Yes, the bio fuels have pushed prices up! my layers pellets cost £7.60 now, not sure on wheat yet...
Oh dear- I'm off to buy a sack of Organic pellets tomorrow; I'll see how bad things are in the South.
[quote name='bigal123_123']Here in doncaster i pay £9.65 for my layer pellets and £8.20 for mixed grain both were around 6 pound six month agoConfusedcared:[/QUOTE]

£9.65!!!!

I was paying less than four pounds a bag last yearoh my. The last lot of feed I bought was £7.60oh my! I'm gonna have to put up the price of my eggs. I knew the prices would go up as the harvests were pretty disastrous. Although around here they were better than down south as we didn't get the disastrous floods. It's quite scarey!

Sue
my feed seems to go up on weekly basis sure its wont be long till its a tenner
I think we need to differentiate between the different types of feed here. Organic would be the most expensive, followed by 'normal' feed and lastly those that have GM products and hexane extracted 'stuff'

Might be as well if you listed grade and make of feed? Would give a better idea!

Will lock the old feed price thread so that we don't get too confused! Have also brought across the posts that have been made during the month of May. If you want to see the previous postings for feed they are [URL="http://www.poultrychat.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6319"]here[/URL]!
You've only got one life - live it!
squizzers
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]I think its a shame youv'e closed my old thread as that one was only ever ment to list the price so you could look back and see how the cost of fed over a period of time had gone up or down and also maybe point fellow poultry keepers in your area to were they could pick up feed at the best price this thread was started by talking about how the price had changed over in Canada & USA.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Regarding Organic poultry feed talked to local feed merchant in the week there are two reasons why organic feed has gone up so much first one is up until this year feed sold as organic could have 20% non organic ingredients the EU changed law so it now has to be 100% organic the second reason is the UK doesn't grow anywhere near enough organic crops as such most of the ingredients in your organic poultry feed are imported (we all know about fuel costs transport etc ) As such my personal feelings regarding the organic feed is it's not very enviromentally friendly is it ? when most the ingredients have been shipped halfway round the globe. And I know those feeding it are hoping to improve the enviroment etc but there seems something wrong to be shipping Org feedstuffs from third world countries when they can't then feed themselfs as the country is growing cash crops for the west to earn hard currancy sadly i don't think this situation is going to improve any time soon if ever because it takes so long for farms over here to change over to organic and be certifed i think its about 7 years . [/COLOR]
[quote name='VORWERK'][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]I think its a shame youv'e closed my old thread as that one was only ever ment to list the price so you could look back and see how the cost of fed over a period of time had gone up or down and also maybe point fellow poultry keepers in your area to were they could pick up feed at the best price.

I agree it's nice to look back and see the price changes not only in you area,but others too.
[quote name='zenith;142677]
VORWERK Wrote:[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]I think its a shame youv'e closed my old thread as that one was only ever ment to list the price so you could look back and see how the cost of fed over a period of time had gone up or down and also maybe point fellow poultry keepers in your area to were they could pick up feed at the best price.

I agree it's nice to look back and see the price changes not only in you area,but others too.

thats my point we never had chatting on that thread it was just a quick post each time we went to are local feed merchants of what we had paid and i know ive helped a few local poultry chat members round my area by the pms ive had asking for the address etc where as this thread has been all chat regarding the price increase GM organic etc the way things are going this thread will soon be as big in eight days as the old one was in eight months. see my point
Wow, I see that the prices are steep everywhere. Forgive my nievity but I have to convert the pound to $$ here. I get so confused with money rates. I am thinking $2.60 for your pound(no key on keyboard fer that.) My feed here comes in 40kg bags,except chick starter which comes in 20kg bags.

Lay Pellets $19.40 per bag, Scratch $17.20 per bag, Cracked corn $14.80 per bag and the chick starter is $16.40 for a 20kg bag. I guess we all are paying the price, bummer,eh !!
If there was a price change when I went,I always posted in it.It helps others in the area.Also info on special offers as has been the case with the Country Store at times.