Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soft shelled eggs
Apologies if this topic has risen before. Two mornings ago when I let the chickens out of the hen house I noticed a half eaten egg which was soft shelled. I was hoping it was a one-off - but I see there is another one on the floor today. :001_unsure:

I don't know which hen has started this. They all get layers pellets which claim that no additional calcium is needed, but I also feed both grit and oyster shell. I have saved some egg shells to bake and crush up which I will do later today. Anything else I can do? I did try some grated cheese yesterday but didn't want to give too much. 

I don't want the hens to think all eggs are edible! Confusedcared:

Sometimes it can just be a one off, as they have access to grit and oyster shell then unless it happens more regularly then I wouldn't worry too much

I had a soft shelled one then a shell less one, and now back to normal!!

It never worries me when I get a little lost, all I do is change where I'm going
Add some cod liver oil to their feed.  The vit D enables the calcium to be absorbed
If they can be taught to hate, they can be taught to love.
I dont know which one of my hens is guilty tho I suspect salt, my light sussex, but she lays shelless/softshelled fairly regularly every month or so! hadone this morning actually! 

Wonder why soft-shelled eggs happen? Seems it's not such a rare occurrence. Pardon my ignorance but where would I buy cod-liver oil? Only at a chemist? :001_unsure:

Chemist, Tesco, health food shop - pretty much anywhere.

horsey places?