The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicken Lost A Lot Of Weight
I had nine brown hybrids, then about a fortnight ago one of them became very lethargic.  I thought from what I know she was going into moult but that wasn't to be.

Soon she would stand in a corner and just look blank all day.  This went on for nearly a week when I picked her up to see if anything obvious was going on.

I was so shocked as I had expected to pick up a bird with at least a few pounds in weight. She barely weighed more than the feathers she sat in, her breastbone more like a knife.  Over the days she sat, she didn't look overly stressed but now gathered she must be rather desperately ill.

Having listened to others in the group say, if their chucks were unwell after say 48 hours then they never seemed to get better and best dispatch them.

Taking her away from the others I let her go quickly and cleanly.   Apart from her dramatic weight loss there didn't appear anything obviously, to me at least, wrong with her.

Now a week later, I suspect at the moment another one of my flock is starting to show the same symptoms as the first ill chuck.  Just stands in a corner, not moving simply staring into nothing.

I did notice also last night, though the rest of the flock chose to roost on perches outside the coop though undercover from the elements, she chose to climb into the coop and nestle on the floor without jumping up to a perch.

Has anyone had this experience with their chucks?  I would have thought if this malady was infectious then surely the whole flock would be down.

The chucks are well fed, Wynnstays'  layers pellets, get fresh water every day and I also clear out the poop on a daily basis as I believe in keeping the coop and run as clean as is possible.  The bedding in the coop and nest boxes is dust free wood shavings and the floor of the run shredded tree bark.  The flock have lived in these conditions for well over a year now.

As said earlier the ill hen doesn't appear to be in distress, she breathes well and I notice her sometimes takes a sip of water.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Messages In This Thread
Chicken Lost A Lot Of Weight - by Eglwyseg - 08-09-2019, 10:35 AM
RE: Chicken Lost A Lot Of Weight - by zenith - 08-09-2019, 12:01 PM
RE: Chicken Lost A Lot Of Weight - by Eglwyseg - 09-09-2019, 11:05 AM
RE: Chicken Lost A Lot Of Weight - by zenith - 08-09-2019, 12:11 PM
RE: Chicken Lost A Lot Of Weight - by scotsfran - 10-09-2019, 11:04 PM
RE: Chicken Lost A Lot Of Weight - by april - 11-09-2019, 04:59 PM
RE: Chicken Lost A Lot Of Weight - by zenith - 12-09-2019, 12:44 PM
RE: Chicken Lost A Lot Of Weight - by Eglwyseg - 13-09-2019, 06:42 PM