PoultryChat
Hi from Spain it’s day 21! - Printable Version

+- PoultryChat (http://www.poultrychat.com)
+-- Forum: :: Chickens (http://www.poultrychat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Incubation & Hatching (http://www.poultrychat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Hi from Spain it’s day 21! (/showthread.php?tid=17599)

Hi from Spain it’s day 21! - Tanya in spain - 19-06-2018

Hi, hope everyone is doing well

Story so far....

Two broody hens a Cochin and a Brahma.

Six eggs each - given to me

Day 15 Cochin left eggs.... including two broken both with chicks in and a lot of yolk?
Day 15 Brahma took all eggs!!

Brahma continues to sit on the rest of the eggs.

Today is D-day.

I am not particularly hopefull of any hatching because of all the chopping and changing

What, apart from chicks am I looking for to tell me they’re hatching, obviously the eggs are all under he hen!

On what day do I declare this a non hatch

Will the broody know it’s over?

How soon after one broody session can she be allowed to go broody again, because she does at the drop of a hat!

Tanya
X

RE: Hi from Spain it’s day 21! - k9crystal - 19-06-2018

I would think they may well hatch,its surprising how much eggs can survive being messed about.
Fingers crossed your hen gets chicks to look after.

RE: Hi from Spain it’s day 21! - Tanya in spain - 19-06-2018

Ok. We have chicks ?. Now. She is in the main house, the idea is to move mummy y babies to next door as soon as can do. At what stage do we think all eggs hatched and or can I move mum and babies and eggs now!

RE: Hi from Spain it’s day 21! - Sutty - 19-06-2018

I'd leave her until she brings the chicks out from the nest, which will indicate she's given up on any more hatching. I wouldn't disturb her before that. Some can be a day or so late, and the chicks that have already hatched will be OK for that long - they still have an internal yolk reserve.

RE: Hi from Spain it’s day 21! - Tanya in spain - 19-06-2018

Sorry another question. She’s in nest box in main house. So instead of moving her, I’ve closed the pop hole and I’m opening the spare coop door for the others tonight.

Do I put food and water in with her?

She’s in a nest box which is slightly raised off the floor. I presume little ones will be ok. It’s fully strawed.

It’s all so stressful ?

Popped down just now. Still only one since this morning. I can’t see any other cracks in eggs but it’s a bit dark and I’m not wanting to disturb her too much

RE: Hi from Spain it’s day 21! - k9crystal - 20-06-2018

can you candle remaining eggs? can you hear cheeping. You can also put them in water to see if they move.

RE: Hi from Spain it’s day 21! - Tanya in spain - 20-06-2018

I can hear and see one, but there was a definite tap tap when I went down this morning. I’ve popped food and water into coop with her it’s a hot 36 degrees here today

I’m going to leave her until tomorrow evening then take a good look and listen.

RE: Hi from Spain it’s day 21! - april - 20-06-2018

Eggs still viable at this stage will be quite obvious. If you candle them, you will be able to see movement and also feel it in your hands. If you cup the egg to your ear, you will probably hear either cheeping of tapping coming from inside the egg. Dead in shells look very different when you candle; the embryo will have no movement, will appear dull with no visible veins and will have shrunk back from the internal membrane. Most eggs under a broody hatch within a day or to of each other and as Sutty says, mum will bring the chicks out once she knows they've all hatched. You should make sure she has access to food and water easily but make sure the water is out of reach of the chicks (due to the possibility of drowning) or in a very, very shallow dish. Hope that helps.

RE: Hi from Spain it’s day 21! - Tanya in spain - 20-06-2018

We now have three, I’m told they’re auto sexing so I think two females and a make. One is yellow. One cream ,yellow and black the other black striped

Water and food in the coop

RE: Hi from Spain it’s day 21! - k9crystal - 21-06-2018

(20-06-2018, 02:53 PM)Tanya in spain Wrote: We now have three, I’m told they’re auto sexing so I think two females and a make.  One is yellow. One cream ,yellow and black the other black striped

Water and food in the coop

excellent news hen egg

RE: Hi from Spain it’s day 21! - scotsfran - 21-06-2018

I've just found this thread - so exciting! I also had a broody in the main coop but, because I was going away for nearly a week, I was worried they'd hatch while I was away. I tried to move her and eggs to a smaller house/run but the broody got so frazzled she wouldn't go back on the eggs Sad I do wonder if I should have moved her at night time - would that have made any difference? At least 3 eggs were viable. I seem to remember that this hen, if it's the same one, abandoned the eggs a couple of days before hatching, so it may have happened anyway. Do keep us posted Tanya in Spain!

RE: Hi from Spain it’s day 21! - Tanya in spain - 21-06-2018

Well I think the hatch is over. I opened up a separate house for the rest of the flock so mum and babies not disturbed. Just went down mum and three babies ( see my other thread for photos) are in the middle of house eating and drinking. I can’t see any movement in the other eggs ie no pipping, talpping or noise. Day one hatch was Tuesday as it’s now Thursday????

I’m moving them to the other house later, where they’re visible to the rest of the flock but out of harms way from heavy footed brahmas and Cochins!

Is it worth me, breaking the other eggs to see what went on or is that Gruesome? It wasn’t an easy hatch, as the eggs were split between two hens, they swapped and changed, then one broke her brood, two eggs cracked open and then the Brahma took over so I’m happy with three. Ideally if they’re two hens and a cockerel I’m ok with that.

RE: Hi from Spain it’s day 21! - Sutty - 21-06-2018

Depends how squeamish you are. Can be interesting if you are of a curious biological mind. Alternatively candle them and see if died early or nearly fully developed.
I got a shock doing this with a cold egg that had pipped but then failed - a search on here for "Lazarus" may find it!

RE: Hi from Spain it’s day 21! - Tanya in spain - 21-06-2018

Ok I checked.

8 eggs left

4 I shook.. total liquid. The other 4. Lots of yoke. 2 had a start of an embryo and stank

All a learning curve.

RE: Hi from Spain it’s day 21! - Sutty - 21-06-2018

Next time candle them at a week or more, and you can then remove the ones that aren't developing.

(21-06-2018, 09:41 AM)scotsfran Wrote: I've just found this thread - so exciting! I also had a broody in the main coop but, because I was going away for nearly a week, I was worried they'd hatch while I was away. I tried to move her and eggs to a smaller house/run but the broody got so frazzled she wouldn't go back on the eggs Sad I do wonder if I should have moved her at night time - would that have made any difference? At least 3 eggs were viable. I seem to remember that this hen, if it's the same one, abandoned the eggs a couple of days before hatching, so it may have happened anyway. Do keep us posted Tanya in Spain!

I think nightime is better. Preferably with only red light, and moving the entire nest, broody and eggs in one go (put a cardboard tray under the nest when she's off it. Put her somewhere she can't see the usual coop from.
Ideally move a broody to the broody cage before giving her fertile eggs (use dummies or infertile ones) so you can see she has settled in the new place.