PoultryChat
A pretty good hatch to cheer me up! - Printable Version

+- PoultryChat (http://www.poultrychat.com)
+-- Forum: :: Chickens (http://www.poultrychat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Incubation & Hatching (http://www.poultrychat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: A pretty good hatch to cheer me up! (/showthread.php?tid=17593)

A pretty good hatch to cheer me up! - april - 26-05-2018

Well after my recent fox disaster and loosing nearly all my lovely Shetlands, I have at last some good news.  10 out of 13 hatched in the incubator and a 100% 6 out or 6 under a broody.  16 in total and I don't even mind about how many boys as I will need to keep two myself so want a good number to be able to choose the best ones.  Call Ducks - not so brilliant - just one hatched in the inccy out of 5 (not unusual sadly) but I have another 5 on the go and some under their mum (not that that gives them much more of a chance).  Second incubator now all set with 16 of Suttys Brahmas and a final 2 Shetland eggs.  Keep everything crossed for me and I'll keep you posted.

RE: A pretty good hatch to cheer me up! - zenith - 26-05-2018

That's not a bad hatch rate, well done. I hope the call ducks improve their hatch next time too.  Smile

RE: A pretty good hatch to cheer me up! - k9crystal - 26-05-2018

excellent April.

RE: A pretty good hatch to cheer me up! - april - 26-05-2018

Unfortunately Zen if you have good type Calls (and mine aren't bad even if I do say myself) 1 out 5 is about all you can expect. Rubbish eh ?

RE: A pretty good hatch to cheer me up! - Nick the Grief - 27-05-2018

what colour call duck are the April? my wifes old boss used to have some in a couple of colours so  I could always ask him if he's got any eggs

RE: A pretty good hatch to cheer me up! - scotsfran - 27-05-2018

Great news April! Wonder why the call ducks have a low hatch rate - is it true of all ducks? I always imagine those fb videos of a line of ducks following their mum....

RE: A pretty good hatch to cheer me up! - april - 27-05-2018

Nick - thanks but I have enough eggs. The problem is not getting eggs although they do have a very short laying season so relatively few eggs compared to other birds.

Scotsfran - anything that is created in the 'extreme' has the likelihood to breed and reproduce with poor results. Calls have been miniaturised, they have domed heads and short beaks (or at least they should) - this doesn't make for ease of hatching.

Unfortunately for lots of ducklings you've got to come away from good 'type' and I don't like that idea. No point breeding a pure bred animal of any species if you're going to ignore the 'breed standard' in my opinion.

RE: A pretty good hatch to cheer me up! - Sutty - 27-05-2018

Glad you had some good hatches. Fingers crossed for the brahma and shetlands!

RE: A pretty good hatch to cheer me up! - april - 30-05-2018

Sutty's Brahmas have done him proud. 15 went in the incubator and 12 are fertile. A very good fertility rate I would say. Looking forward to some lovely little fluffy legged chicks in a couple of week time.

The builders are in this morning making a start on the new roof for the chicken run. Feeling a bit sorry for the remaining birds who have now been shut in for 4 weeks (give or take the odd evening when I have sat in the run with them). Comes to something when your chickens have to be guarded !