PoultryChat
rats - Printable Version

+- PoultryChat (http://www.poultrychat.com)
+-- Forum: :: Chickens (http://www.poultrychat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Chicken Chat (http://www.poultrychat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: rats (/showthread.php?tid=17540)

rats - Teazel - 13-01-2018

We are having trouble with rats again.   We are putting all the feed hoppers away at night.   I have moved the guinea pigs into a cage as the rats were eating their food.   They have runs under the paving slabs the houses sit on but dont seem to be living there.  We have caught a few in traps and the cats have left us two dead and one live one in the house.    OH had an infra red camera for Christmas and that shows the little wotsits running around fort knox.   They are also eating the felt in the roof of the barn!

RE: rats - zenith - 14-01-2018

They are a pain to get rid of, not that I have had any here only mice at times. Keeping the numbers down is all you can do, but at the rate they breed it's a full time job. Difficult when you have pets around as to what bait you use. Is it eradibait that not harmful to pets ?

RE: rats - Teazel - 14-01-2018

We use the kill traps as dont like the thought of the dogs and cats picking up poisoned rats Also I saw one staggering around and didnt like to see it, so feel its better to give them a quick death My daughter uses a bait that is ok even if the pets eat them Apparently they would have to eat a lot before there would be a poblem. I tipped up one of the houses today and found an empty nest and two rats ran off. Unfortunately I didnt have the terrier or a cat with me!

RE: rats - k9crystal - 16-01-2018

im using iradibait at the moment but not sure how effective its being. they are not eating much of it.
full on full time job with them. mad

RE: rats - scotsfran - 16-01-2018

We have plenty mice here, but hopefully not rats - who knows?! Horrible creatures. Good luck with getting rid of them!

RE: rats - eggy - 24-01-2018

Are you seeing them or just the damage thay are causing ? Once established, they are less cautious and are often seen out and about.
As one of my many hobbies, shooting is one of them, target and pest, which goes hand in hand with rats. If you know nothing about guns, and I'm talking more about air rifles than other guns, then forget what you've read or heard about airguns in the past.
An air rifle is a most useful tool to deal with rats and other pest, it can be used in small areas, ie, the garden, and the responsible shooter will have insurance as well. There are many who would gladly help you with your problem free of charge, most,if not all, keen hobbyist. No need for the expensive pest control people as first call.

RE: rats - scotsfran - 25-01-2018

That is handy to know - I have a neighbour who is pretty handy with a gun...but haven't had need for him so far!

RE: rats - Teazel - 27-01-2018

I havnt seen any during the day. They are starting to make holes in the grass, making shallow runs, bloomin things

RE: rats - eggy - 28-01-2018

(27-01-2018, 09:33 PM)Teazel Wrote: I havnt seen any during the day.   They are starting to make holes in the grass, making shallow runs, bloomin things

,'They are starting to make holes in the grass'.
Squirrels do this as well and at this time of year.

RE: rats - scotsfran - 06-02-2018

just when I thought I was immune to rats - I've found two tunnels in my hen run  Angry OH had built me a new run but it now has a 3" gap under the edges in places which I will need to fill in. I'm assuming the rats found these gaps easy access.

RE: rats - k9crystal - 07-02-2018

(06-02-2018, 11:15 PM)scotsfran Wrote: just when I thought I was immune to rats - I've found two tunnels in my hen run  Angry  OH had built me a new run but it now has a 3" gap under the edges in places which I will need to fill in. I'm assuming the rats found these gaps easy access.

The blighters will take any opportunity they can.Constant battle with them.
I had one yesterday saunter and i mean saunter across the garden in front of me when i shut the hens up.It didnt saunter when i let two terriers out and they where up its backside. Big Grin

RE: rats - eggy - 07-02-2018

(07-02-2018, 09:22 AM)k9crystal Wrote:
(06-02-2018, 11:15 PM)scotsfran Wrote: just when I thought I was immune to rats - I've found two tunnels in my hen run  Angry  OH had built me a new run but it now has a 3" gap under the edges in places which I will need to fill in. I'm assuming the rats found these gaps easy access.

I had one yesterday saunter and i mean saunter across the garden in front of me when i shut the hens up.It didnt saunter when i let two terriers out and they where up its backside. Big Grin
There was an interesting bit on the BBC this morning. Countryfile, this week, have an extra morning slot, on about 0915hrs, in which there was a bit about rats. It seems that traps is the only way to go. My routine is to feed only the amount the chickens are going to eat in day time. No food left at night. A fully grown chicken will typically eat about 120 grams of layers pellets a day. Once chickens are put to bed, that's when you put the traps out. I prefer to use the live catch cage type for this as it allows only rodents to enter and has a trip wire setting so if anything that's disturbs the cage, it closes. Once Roland is caught, a lead pellet shot from an airgun in .22 dispatches it.
Every poultry keeper should, and I'm sure those on this forum do, take pest control seriously. As I've said before, this is where a suitable airgun comes into it;s own.
Anyone who require more guidance on suitable guns, I'm pleased to advise.

RE: rats - scotsfran - 08-02-2018

I'll need to borrow a terrier or two - although I've not seen the rats in daylight - yet.....

RE: rats - scotsfran - 08-02-2018

(07-02-2018, 12:36 PM)eggy Wrote:

There was an interesting bit on the BBC this morning. Countryfile, this week, have an extra morning slot, on about 0915hrs, in which there was a bit about rats. It seems that traps is the only way to go. My routine is to feed only the amount the chickens are going to eat in day time. No food left at night. A fully grown chicken will typically eat about 120 grams of layers pellets a day. Once chickens are put to bed, that's when you put the traps out. I prefer to use the live catch cage type for this as it allows only rodents to enter and has a trip wire setting so if anything that's disturbs the cage, it closes. Once Roland is caught, a lead pellet shot from an airgun in .22 dispatches it.
Every poultry keeper should, and I'm sure those on this forum do, take pest control seriously. As I've said before, this is where a suitable airgun comes into it;s own.

Do you need a licence for airguns in Scotland?? I think my neighbour got rid of his one for this reason though I could be wrong. I've started lifting the feed at night to put out again in the morning. I'm just hoping that the rats will decide to relocate when there is a shortage of food.

RE: rats - eggy - 09-02-2018

(08-02-2018, 10:37 PM)scotsfran Wrote:
(07-02-2018, 12:36 PM)eggy Wrote:

Do you need a licence for airguns in Scotland?? I think my neighbour got rid of his one for this reason though I could be wrong. I've started lifting the feed at night to put out again in the morning. I'm just hoping that the rats will decide to relocate when there is a shortage of food.
Yes you do need a licence in Scotland.  You just need to show a good reason for having such gun. I think you might have a good reason, don't you ?
As with most laws, the criminal, those who break the law, don't seem to have any licences for the guns they use !!!