PoultryChat
Another sad morning - Printable Version

+- PoultryChat (http://www.poultrychat.com)
+-- Forum: :: Chickens (http://www.poultrychat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Chicken Chat (http://www.poultrychat.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Another sad morning (/showthread.php?tid=17526)

Another sad morning - zenith - 21-12-2017

I found my gold laced Wyandotte dead this morning  Sad This I hatched 10 yrs ago eggs sent all the way from Scotland by CDD  Smile So I have one little pekin left who's now on her own and the same age. This will be the end of my chicken keeping as I don't intend to keep any more. 

The Gold laced dotte was a lovely bird such a lovely gloss to her feathers.

RE: Another sad morning - april - 21-12-2017

Gosh Zen - nearly the end of an era. What will life be like for you without chickens I wonder ? Do you have another hobby to take over ?

RE: Another sad morning - zenith - 21-12-2017

(21-12-2017, 06:21 PM)april Wrote: Gosh Zen - nearly the end of an era.  What will life be like for you without chickens I wonder ?  Do you have another hobby to take over ?

It will be strange without them being in the garden. The little coop is coming to the end of it's life span too- wood beginning  too rot  in places now. It will all be taken down and done away with. I'll still pop on here as long as it keeps going to see how you are all doing.  Smile Starting all over again seems like too much work.

RE: Another sad morning - scotsfran - 22-12-2017

Awwww that's such a shame Zenith - can you not be persuaded to have more? 10 years is a great age for a chook - they've obviously been well looked after. Get some company for your pekin, and you're on your way again!! Big Grin

RE: Another sad morning - Cockadoodledoo - 23-12-2017

Sorry to hear that Zenith.  I have 2 left from the same batch and I don't think they will be lasting long.  I too have not been replacing stock, although there are still about 30 about the place - a big drop from the 150 of about 3 - 4 years ago.  I keep telling myself they are good for the health as instead of sitting inside when the weather is bad, you still have to get up and out to see to them all.

RE: Another sad morning - k9crystal - 24-12-2017

Sorry to hear that Zenith. Sad

RE: Another sad morning - Teazel - 01-01-2018

Oh Zenith, it wont be the same if you dont have chickens Sad

RE: Another sad morning - mikswi - 02-01-2018

(21-12-2017, 07:37 PM)zenith Wrote:
(21-12-2017, 06:21 PM)april Wrote: Gosh Zen - nearly the end of an era.  What will life be like for you without chickens I wonder ?  Do you have another hobby to take over ?

It will be strange without them being in the garden. The little coop is coming to the end of it's life span too- wood beginning  too rot  in places now. It will all be taken down and done away with. I'll still pop on here as long as it keeps going to see how you are all doing.  Smile Starting all over again seems like too much work.

What does that mean? Has there been talk of shutting the site down?

RE: Another sad morning - scotsfran - 02-01-2018

(02-01-2018, 12:18 AM)mikswi Wrote:

It hasn't really been talked about yet. I'm happy to keep the site going, but it is less busy than it used to be, and very few new members. It is lovely to see the few faithful post which is why the site continues - but I'd like to know what others think? There are so many sources of info these days, and fb groups.

RE: Another sad morning - zenith - 02-01-2018

(02-01-2018, 12:18 AM)mikswi Wrote:

Hi mikswi  I should have put I'll still pop on here even if I no longer keep chickens. The site still gets a good amount of people viewing the forum, we just don't have as many posting these days.  Smile

RE: Another sad morning - eggy - 06-01-2018

'This will be the end of my chicken keeping as I don't intend to keep any more'
How many times have we all said that before ?.
We'll see. Smile

RE: Another sad morning - zenith - 07-01-2018

(06-01-2018, 02:57 PM)eggy Wrote: 'This will be the end of my chicken keeping as I don't intend to keep any more'
How many times have we all said that before ?.
We'll see. Smile

When the last one goes there will only be wild garden birds in the garden. I enjoy feeding and watching them . Smile The coop and pen will be taken down cut up and probably burnt. It has lasted well but parts are now starting to rot. Not the coop itself but the timbers it sits on and the pen timber too.

RE: Another sad morning - scotsfran - 07-01-2018

Good to see you back eggy!! Smile

RE: Another sad morning - eggy - 08-01-2018

(07-01-2018, 08:29 PM)scotsfran Wrote: Good to see you back eggy!! Smile

Still  keeping chickens, 2 and a half year old grandson's pets. he loves them !